Platt Pit - 1882 to closure in 1977
440 yards to the decking level, two deck cage, upcast shaft for both the Hesketh and Institute shafts. Diameter of the shaft - sixteen feet.
Immediately to the east of the Institute shaft at Chatterley Whitfield are the headgear and winding house of the Platt shaft which was developed in the early 1880s to replace the destroyed Laura shaft. The Platt winding house is thought to be the oldest surviving structure at Chatterley Whitfield and was constructed in 1883. The original winding engine has been removed and the building now houses a restored engine from Silverdale colliery. To the north of the Platt shaft is the second fan house, built during the 1920s-30s. Its original fan is no longer extant and the building has been converted for other uses in recent times. Scheduled.
Site Audit April 1969 :
PLATT - DEPTH 428 YARDS
Function as a Up Cast 14 feet in diameter, brick lining with rope guides.
Type of Headgear : Steel Lattice
Number of winders : 1
Type of Winder : Electric Drum
Winding Depth : 417 yards
Date of Installation : 1966
System of Winding : One Cage
Cars per Deck : One