Following the end of the first world war the existing lamp house was deemed too small because of the increase in manpower and the recent introduction of heavy hand held electric lamps which were being used in addition to the normal lamps. The building was completed in 1922. It is a dramatic building with it's soaring roofs and unlike any other building on site. Together with the Pithead Baths it was the most heavily used building on site and is largely unchanged.
Colliery Lamphouse, now part of a site museum of the Coal Mining industry .1922, with minor alterations in 1979 upon conversion to museum reception area. Brick with coped gables to asymmetrically-pitched roofs to 4 linked parallel ranges the north facing steeper pitches fully glazed. Later single storey lean to's cover lower parts of side walls. Front elevation (north) of 5 bays, with five 4-light windows within recessed brick panel. Part of the lamp charging equipment has been retained in the altered interior. The building is of special interest as a large-scale lamphouse built to serve a colliery workforce of almost 4000 men.